Pier 424 Seafood Market was established March 2010, the year the New Orleans Saints went to their first Super Bowl, beating the Indianapolis Colts to bring home the city’s first Vince Lombardi Trophy. While this year was notable for both the city and Pier 424, this location has seen it all from the birth of New Orleans in 1718 till now.
While Bourbon Street is known today for its notoriety, it was named in honor of the House of Bourbon, France’s ruling family, whom claimed the colony from afar, building the Vieux Carre or “Old Square” on a military grid of seventy squares. In 1763, Louis XV transferred ownership of New Orleans to his Bourbon cousin, Charles III of Spain.
In 1788 on Good Friday, The Great New Orleans Fire consumed 80 percent of the French Quarter including 5 blocks of Bourbon Street. The once French structures composed of wood were replaced by predominantly Spanish-influenced architecture of courtyards, thick brick walls, arcades, and wrought iron balconies that one sees today in the French Quarter and at Pier 424.
The specific location of Pier 424 Seafood Market, i.e. 424 Bourbon Street, thrived for 40 years in the early 1800s as part of Pigneguy’s Livery Establishment, a public livery stable for the hiring of carriages and of horses. In the late 1800s and early 1900s, Bourbon Street began to compete with the allure of the Storyville Red Light district. Night clubs hosting vaudeville acts, burlesque shows and the emerging Jazz culture would be the predecessor to what Bourbon Street would become today. But Bourbon Street wasn’t all gambling and girls…this was also the era some of New Orleans’s most famous restaurants would emerge, on and off Bourbon.
Long after Pigneguy’s Stables had been rebuilt to house various establishments, Jack Teagarden, a jazz trombone player widely regarded as one of the greatest trombonist in the history of Jazz, played his final set at 424 Bourbon Street, known then as the “Dream Room” on Jan. 14th 1964. He would pass away the next day at the Prince Conti Hotel. A plaque was installed a year later on the building to signify Teagarden’s last stand. In 1969, Jack Teagarden was inducted into the Down Beat Jazz Hall of Fame. He was inducted into the Big Band and Jazz Hall of Fame in 1985.
424 Bourbon Street has been home to many successful institutions since before its inception as Pier 424 Seafood Market, but never has it been home to both a French Quarter seafood restaurant and oyster bar with a daily seafood market catering to both New Orleans visitors and locals alike.
So now that you know Bourbon Street is named for royalty and not a bottle on the bar, come enjoy a dozen “on the half shell” at the longest oyster bar in New Orleans and check out our daily fish fare, while enjoying a tasty beverage…’cause, after all, it is Bourbon Street!